Pokala Ravi Kiran, MD, FACS, FASCRS
- Kenneth A. Forde Professor of Surgery (in Epidemiology)
- Director, Center for Innovation and Outcomes Research
- Chief and Program Director, Division of Colorectal Surgery
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 342-1155
Dr. Ravi P. Kiran has served as the chief and program director of the Division of Colorectal Surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, effective June 1, 2013. He is also the Director of the Center for Innovation and Outcomes Research in the Department of Surgery. Dr. Kiran, a renowned surgeon-scientist with expertise in inflammatory bowel disease, colorectal cancer, and other complicated colorectal conditions, joined NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia from the Cleveland Clinic, where he was staff surgeon and head of the research section in the Department of Colorectal Surgery and director of its Rupert B. Turnbull Jr. School of Enterostomal Therapy.
Dr. Kiran brings a wealth of experience in laparoscopic and open colorectal surgery, anorectal procedures and reoperative abdominal and pelvic surgery. With expertise in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in particular complex Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, he specializes in bowel conservation as well as avoiding an ostomy (external bag) for these conditions when others may be unable. Having trained with Dr Victor Fazio at the Cleveland Clinic, he is an expert at pouch procedures. In addition to J and S pouch creation, he has experience in the repair, revision and redo of these pouches when pouch failure occurs. In addition to IBD, he is also expert in the surgical management of primary and recurrent colon and rectal cancer, diverticulitis, enterocutaneous fistula, functional bowel problems including constipation, incontinence and pelvic floor disorders. He is one of only a few highly skilled surgeons world-wide to perform continent ileostomy reservoir procedures and other complex operations to avoid a permanent ostomy after rectal or colon resection. As a researcher, Dr. Kiran has specific interests in surgical outcomes and quality and in evidence-based strategies for inflammatory bowel disease and other conditions. With a joint appointment at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and at Columbia’s Mailman School of Public Health, Dr. Kiran facilitates research collaborations in epidemiology between the Department of Surgery and the Mailman School.
Dr. Kiran received his medical degree from and completed surgical training at Osmania Medical College in Hyderabad, India, and received advanced training in colorectal surgery in the United Kingdom. He completed his general surgery residency at Yale-Saint Mary’s Hospital and Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center and fellowship training in colorectal surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. He is board certified in surgery and in colon and rectal surgery from the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (FASCRS) and is a fellow of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of England and Glasgow.
The author of more than 200 peer-reviewed publications, Dr. Kiran is also an editor and reviewer for numerous prominent journals and textbooks. As a student and physician, he has earned several distinctions, including the National Merit Scholarship and Gold Medals during his medical education and surgical training in India, Resident Researcher of the Year during surgical residency, Teacher of the Year in Colorectal Surgery at Cleveland Clinic in 2011, and the ASCRS Travelling Fellow Award in 2012, and was voted to the list of Best Doctors in Cleveland.
Dr Kiran has a patient-centered approach to care and is available to see patients at the Main Campus, Midtown and New Jersey colorectal surgery office locations.
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
Areas of Expertise
- Rectal Prolapse
- Colorectal Cancer
- Rectal Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Rectovaginal Fistula Repair
- Colon & Rectal Cancer
- Complex Anal Fistula Disease
- Robotic Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Cancer Care
- Small Bowel Cancer
- Abscess Drainage
- Small Bowel Disease
- Fecal Incontinence
- Small Bowel Resection
- Genital Warts
- Sphincter Saving Operations
- Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEMS)
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Twisted Colon/Intestine
- Intestinal Obstruction
- J Pouch
- K Pouch (Continent Ileostomy)
- Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colon Resection
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
- Laparoscopic Proctectomy
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fistula
- Min Invasive Colorectal Surgery
- Anal Sphincter Incontinence
- Minimally Invasive Rectal Surgery
- Anal Warts
- Ostomy Care
- Anorectal Surgical Procedures
- Ostomy Creation, Care and Revision
- Biofeedback Therapy
- Ostomy Reversals
- Bowel-Sparing Strictureplasty
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Pelvic Floor-Muscle Rehab
- Pilonidal Cyst/Abscess
- Colon and Rectal Disease
- Rectal and Anal Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Rectal Bleeding
- Colon Cancer Screening
- Rectal Cancer
- Colon Polyps
- Rectal Carcinoma
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Anorectal Disorder
- Colon Cancer
- Colon/Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Crohn's Disease
- Diverticular Disease
- Fistula, Anal
- Hemorrhoid Surgery
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Anal Fissure and Fistula
- Colorectal Surgery
Education & Training
- MD, Osmania Medical College (India)
- 1989 Osmania Medical College
- Internship: Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center - NY
- Residency: St Mary's Hospital
- Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic Hospital
Herbert Irving Pavilion161 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 342-1155
- (212) 305-0267
ColumbiaDoctors Midtown51 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 342-1155
Practices and Centers
- ColumbiaDoctors Midtown
- Inflammatory bowel disease, clinical quality and patient outcomes
LONG-TERM EFFECTS OF ROBOTIC TECHNOLOGY ON RESOURCE UTILIZATION (Private)
Jan 1 2018 - Dec 31 2018
COLORECTAL SURGERY RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP YEAR2: DR. AHMED AL MAZROU (Private)
Jan 1 2016 - Dec 31 2016
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM (Private)
Jul 1 2014 - Jan 13 2016
Dr. Kiran has published more than 250 journal articles and abstracts, has contributed to textbooks, courses and conferences and is an editor and reviewer for numerous prominent journals. A selection of Dr. Kiran’s recent publications is provided below.
- Wu XR, Mukewar S, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Shen B. Surgical Stricturoplasty in the Treatment of Ileal Pouch Strictures. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 May 21. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23690206.
- Elder K, Lopez R, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Shen B. Endoscopic features associated with ileal pouch failure. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013 May;19(6):1202-9. doi: 10.1097/MIB.0b013e318280e77c. PubMed PMID: 23542533.
- Kin C, Snyder K, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Vogel JD. Accidental puncture or laceration in colorectal surgery: a quality indicator or a complexity measure? Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Feb;56(2):219-25. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0b013e3182765c43. PubMed PMID: 23303151.
- Wu XR, Mukewar S, Kiran RP, Hammel JP, Remzi FH, Shen B. The Presence of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis Is Protective for Ileal Pouch from Crohn's Disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013 May 8. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23660996.
- Kiran RP, Attaluri V, Hammel J, Church J. A novel nomogram accurately quantifies the risk of mortality in elderly patients undergoing colorectal surgery. Ann Surg. 2013 May;257(5):905-8. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e318269d337. PubMed PMID: 23001078.
- Manilich E, Vogel JD, Kiran RP, Church JM, Seyidova-Khoshknabi D, Remzi FH. Key factors associated with postoperative complications in patients undergoing colorectal surgery. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Jan;56(1):64-71. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0b013e31827175f6. PubMed PMID: 23222282.
- Aytac E, Lavery IC, Kalady MF, Kiran RP. Impact of Obesity on Operation Performed, Complications, and Long-term Outcomes in Terms of Restoration of Intestinal Continuity for Patients With Mid and Low Rectal Cancer. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Jun;56(6):689-97. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0b013e3182880ffa. PubMed PMID: 23652741.
- Gu J, Stocchi L, Remzi F, Kiran RP. Factors associated with postoperative morbidity, reoperation and readmission rates after laparoscopic total abdominal colectomy for ulcerative colitis. Colorectal Dis. 2013 Apr 30. doi: 10.1111/codi.12267. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23627886.
- Kopyeva T, Sessler DI, Weiss S, Dalton J, Mascha EJ, Lee JH,Kiran RP, Udeh B, Kurz A. Effects of Volatile Anesthetic Choice on Hospital Length-of-stay: A Retrospective Study and a Prospective Trial. Anesthesiology. 2013 Apr 24. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23619173.
- Kiran RP, Ahmed Ali U, Nisar PJ, Khoury W, Gu J, Shen B, Remzi FH, Hammel JP, Lavery IC, Fazio VW, Goldblum JR. Risk and Location of Cancer in Patients With Preoperative Colitis-Associated Dysplasia Undergoing Proctocolectomy. Ann Surg. 2013 Apr 10. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23579580.
- Gu J, Stocchi L, Remzi F, Kiran RP. Intraperitoneal or Subcutaneous: Does Location of the (Colo)rectal Stump Influence Outcomes After Laparoscopic Total Abdominal Colectomy for Ulcerative Colitis? Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 May;56(5):615-21. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0b013e3182707682. PubMed PMID: 23575401.
- Shapiro R, Ahmed Ali U, Lavery IC, Kiran RP. Erratum to: Endorectal ultrasound does not reliably identify patients with uT3 rectal cancer who can avoid neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2013 May;28(5):735. doi: 10.1007/s00384-013-1680-2. PubMed PMID: 23525468.
- Navaneethan U, Kochhar G, Venkatesh PG, Bennett AE, Rizk M, Shen B, Kiran RP. Random biopsies during surveillance colonoscopy increase dysplasia detection in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis and ulcerative colitis. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Mar 19. doi:pii: S1873-9946(13)00074-3. 10.1016/j.crohns.2013.02.009. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23523416.
- Wu XR, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Katz S, Mukewar S, Shen B. Preoperative pelvic radiation increases the risk for ileal pouch failure in patients with colitis-associated colorectal cancer. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Feb 27. doi:pii: S1873-9946(13)00057-3. 10.1016/j.crohns.2013.01.017. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23453430.
- Ashburn JH, Stocchi L, Kiran RP, Dietz DW, Remzi FH. Consequences of anastomotic leak after restorative proctectomy for cancer: effect on long-term function and quality of life. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Mar;56(3):275-80. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0b013e318277e8a5. PubMed PMID: 23392139.
- Khanna R, Li Y, Schroeder T, Brzezinski A, Lashner BA, Kiran RP, Remzi RH, Shen B. Manometric evaluation of evacuatory difficulty (dyschezia) in ileal pouch patients. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013 Mar;19(3):569-75. doi: 10.1097/MIB.0b013e31827e78d6. PubMed PMID: 23380934.
- Shapiro R, Ali UA, Lavery IC, Kiran RP. Endorectal ultrasound does not reliably identify patients with uT3 rectal cancer who can avoid neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2013 Feb 2. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23377857.
- Navaneethan U, Jegadeesan R, Gutierrez NG, Venkatesh PG, Arrossi AV, Bennett AE, Rai T, Remzi FH, Shen B, Kiran RP. Backwash Ileitis and the Risk of Colon Neoplasia in Ulcerative Colitis Patients Undergoing Restorative Proctocolectomy. Dig Dis Sci. 2013 Feb 1. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23371015.
- Wu B, Lian L, Li Y, Remzi FH, Liu X, Kiran RP, Shen B. Clinical course of cuffitis in ulcerative colitis patients with restorative proctocolectomy and ileal pouch-anal anastomoses. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013 Feb;19(2):404-10. doi: 10.1097/MIB.0b013e31828100ed. PubMed PMID: 23328773.
- Fazio VW, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Coffey JC, Heneghan HM, Kirat HT, Manilich E, Shen B, Martin ST. Ileal pouch anal anastomosis: analysis of outcome and quality of life in 3707 patients. Ann Surg. 2013 Apr;257(4):679-85. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31827d99a2. PubMed PMID: 23299522.
- Reshef A, Hull TL, Kiran RP. Risk of adhesive obstruction after colorectal surgery: the benefits of the minimally invasive approach may extend well beyond the perioperative period. Surg Endosc. 2013 May;27(5):1717-20. doi: 10.1007/s00464-012-2663-z. Epub 2012 Dec 18. PubMed PMID: 23247739.
- Heneghan HM, Martin ST, Kiran RP, Khoury W, Stocchi L, Remzi FH, Vogel JD. Laparoscopic colorectal surgery for obese patients: decreased conversions with the hand-assisted technique. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Mar;17(3):548-54. doi: 10.1007/s11605-012-2089-x. Epub 2012 Nov 27. PubMed PMID: 23188222.
- El-Gazzaz G, Erem HH, Aytac E, Salcedo L, Stocchi L, Kiran RP. Risk of infection and hernia recurrence for patients undergoing ventral hernia repair with non-absorbable or biological mesh during open bowel procedures. Tech Coloproctol. 2013 Jun;17(3):315-20. doi: 10.1007/s10151-012-0928-0. Epub 2012 Nov 22. PubMed PMID: 23179894.
- Kiran RP. The ideal design of the ileoanal pouch: one for each patient? Dis Colon Rectum. 2012 Dec;55(12):1201-2. doi: 10.1097/DCR.0b013e31826f6131. PubMed. PMID: 23135575.
- Sulu B, Aytac E, Stocchi L, Vogel JD, Kiran RP. The minimally invasive approach is associated with reduced perioperative thromboembolic and bleeding complications for patients receiving preoperative chronic oral anticoagulant therapy who undergo colorectal surgery. Surg Endosc. 2013 Apr;27(4):1339-45. doi: 10.1007/s00464-012-2610-z. Epub 2012 Oct 24. PubMed PMID: 23093241.
- Reshef A, Gurland B, Zutshi M, Kiran RP, Hull T. Colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis has a worse 30-day outcome when performed for colonic inertia than for a neoplastic indication. Colorectal Dis. 2013 Apr;15(4):481-6. doi: 10.1111/codi.12058. PubMed PMID: 23061597.
- Grucela A, Gurland B, Kiran RP. Functional outcomes and quality of life after anorectal surgery. Am Surg. 2012 Sep;78(9):952-6. PubMed PMID: 22964203.
- Wu XR, Mukewar S, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Hammel J, Shen B. Risk factors for peristomal pyoderma gangrenosum complicating inflammatory bowel disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Jun;7(5):e171-7. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2012.08.001. Epub 2012 Sep 5. PubMed PMID: 22959399.
- Navaneethan U, Parasa S, Venkatesh PG, Ganapathi TT, Kiran RP, Shen B. Impact of inflammatory bowel disease on post-cholecystectomy complications and hospitalization costs: a Nationwide Inpatient Sample study. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Jun;7(5):e164-70. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2012.07.032. Epub 2012 Sep 6. PubMed PMID: 22959005.
- Mukewar S, Wu X, Lopez R, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Shen B. Ethnicity and the risk of development of Crohn's disease of the ileal pouch. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Jun;7(5):e178-85. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2012.08.002. Epub 2012 Aug 31. PubMed PMID: 22939817.
- Wang Y, Gong H, Lopez R, Lian L, Kiran RP, Soffer EE, Shen B. Correlation between serum serotonin and endoscopy inflammation scores in patients with ileal pouches. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 May;7(4):e133-42. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2012.07.028. Epub 2012 Aug 24. PubMed PMID: 22922006.
- Kiran RP, Ahmed Ali U, Coffey JC, Vogel JD, Pokala N, Fazio VW. Impact of resident participation in surgical operations on postoperative outcomes: National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. Ann Surg. 2012 Sep;256(3):469-75. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e318265812a. PubMed PMID: 22842127.
- Kiran RP, Nisar PJ, Goldblum JR, Fazio VW, Remzi FH, Shen B, Lavery IC. Dysplasia associated with Crohn's colitis: segmental colectomy or more extended resection? Ann Surg. 2012 Aug;256(2):221-6. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31825f0709. PubMed PMID: 22791098.
- Obusez EC, Lian L, Shao Z, Navaneethan U, O'Shea R, Kiran RP, Shen B. Impact of ileal pouch-anal anastomosis on the surgical outcome of orthotopic liver transplantation for primary sclerosing cholangitis. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Apr 1;7(3):230-8. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2012.06.001. Epub 2012 Jul 11. PubMed PMID: 22789675.
- Nisar PJ, Lavery IC, Kiran RP. Influence of neoadjuvant radiotherapy on anastomotic leak after restorative resection for rectal cancer. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012 Sep;16(9):1750-7. doi: 10.1007/s11605-012-1936-0. Epub 2012 Jun 29. PubMed PMID: 22744637.
- Mukewar S, Hall P, Lashner BA, Lopez R, Kiran RP, Shen B. Risk factors for nephrolithiasis in patients with ileal pouches. J Crohns Colitis. 2013 Feb;7(1):70-8. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2012.05.006. Epub 2012 Jun 23. PubMed PMID: 22728147.
- Costedio MM, Aytac E, Gorgun E, Kiran RP, Remzi FH. Reduced port versus conventional laparoscopic total proctocolectomy and ileal J pouch-anal anastomosis. Surg Endosc. 2012 Dec;26(12):3495-9. doi: 10.1007/s00464-012-2372-7. Epub 2012 Jun 16. PubMed PMID: 22707112.
- Aytac E, Stocchi L, Remzi FH, Kiran RP. Is laparoscopic surgery for recurrent Crohn's disease beneficial in patients with previous primary resection through midline laparotomy? A case-matched study. Surg Endosc. 2012 Dec;26(12):3552-6. doi: 10.1007/s00464-012-2361-x. Epub 2012 May 31. PubMed PMID: 22648125.
- Nisar PJ, Appau KA, Remzi FH, Kiran RP. Preoperative hypoalbuminemia is associated with adverse outcomes after ileoanal pouch surgery. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012 Jun;18(6):1034-41. doi: 10.1002/ibd.21842. Epub 2011 Aug 29. PubMed PMID: 22605611.
- Reshef A, Stocchi L, Kiran RP, Flechner S, Budev M, Quintini C, Remzi FH. Case-matched comparison of perioperative outcomes after surgical treatment of sigmoid diverticulitis in solid organ transplant recipients versus immunocompetent patients. Colorectal Dis. 2012 Dec;14(12):1546-52. doi: 10.1111/j.1463 1318.2012.03077.x. PubMed PMID: 22564266.
Kiran RP, Fazio VW. Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Surgical Management. In Fecal and Urinary Diversions: Management Principles. Mosby.
Kiran RP, Fazio VW. Anorectal abscess. Current Therapy in Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2nd Edition. Elsevier Science.
Kiran RP, Fazio VW, Zhang R. Surgery for ulcerative colitis. Inflammatory Bowel Disease, edited by Stephen Targan, Fergus Shanahan and Loren Karp, Blackwell Publishing Ltd (in press).
Kiran RP, Wu J, Fazio VW. Continent Ileostomy (in press). Pouch Complications. In Complexities in Colorectal Surgery: Decision-Making and Management, Springer Ltd (in press).
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov