Peter J. Stahl, MD
- Assistant Professor of Urology at CUMC
- Director of Male Reproductive & Sexual Medicine
Peter J. Stahl, MD is the Director of Male Reproductive and Sexual Medicine at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center and Assistant Professor of Urology at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He completed his undergraduate studies at Cornell University, where he played competitive tennis. Dr. Stahl subsequently attended medical school and completed his urology residency at NewYork Presbyterian-Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City. Following residency, he completed two years of fellowship training in male reproductive medicine and microsurgery under the world-renowned Marc Goldstein, MD and Peter Schlegel, MD at the Center for Reproductive Medicine and Microsurgery at Weill Cornell. He received additional training during fellowship in male sexual medicine and penile prosthetic surgery from world-renowned expert John Mulhall, MD at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Stahl's practice is focused on the medical and surgical treatment of male subfertility, sexual dysfunction and low testosterone. He has special interest and training in minimally invasive and microsurgical techniques for surgical sperm retrieval in obstructive and nonobstructive azoospermia, microsurgical varicocelectomy, vasectomy, vasectomy reversal, implantation of testicular and penile prostheses, treatment of Peyronie's disease, and testosterone replacement therapy. He also treats patients with general urological issues including benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and urinary stone disease.
Dr. Stahl's academic interests include the genetics of male subfertility, development of new diagnostic tests to guide the treatment of subfertile men, fertility preservation for male patients with cancer, and the effectiveness of varicocelectomy for the treatment of testicular dysfunction. He was the recipient of the prestigious Research Scholar Award from the American Urological Association Foundation and has authored more than 20 articles and book chapters in the field of reproductive and sexual medicine. His research and discoveries have been published in leading journals including Fertility and Sterility, Journal of Urology, Urology, British Journal of Urology International, and Annual Review in Medicine. He was the 2012 recipient of the Arnold Belker Fellowship, given by the Society for the Study of Male Reproduction in recognition of accomplishment and leadership potential in male reproductive medicine.
Dr. Stahl sees patients at ColumbiaDoctors Midtown (51 West 51st Street, Suite 375), the Herbert Irving Pavillion at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (Fort Washington Avenue and 165th Street), NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/The Allen Hospital (Broadway and West 220th Street), and the Columbia Center for Women's Reproductive Care (Broadway and Columbus Circle). He accepts most insurance plans.
Education & Training
- Weill Cornell Medical College
- MD, 2004 Weill Cornell Medical College
- Residency: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowship: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Stahl PJ, Felsen D. Transforming growth factor-beta, basement membrane, and epithelial-mesenchymal transdifferentiation: implications for fibrosis in kidney disease. American Journal of Pathology. 2001;159(4):1187-1192.
- Stahl PJ, Tash JA, Poppas DP. Deep haemangioma of the scrotum as a rare presentation of scrotal mass in children. BJU International. 2003;92 Suppl 3:e67.
- Stern JM, Chen J, Peters SB, Stahl PJ et al. Testosterone treatment of human foreskin in a novel transplant model. Urology. 2004;63(5):999-1003.
- Blaivas JG, Weiss JP, Desai P, Flisser AJ, Stember DS, Stahl PJ. Long-term followup of augmentation enterocystoplasty and continent diversion in patients with benign disease. Journal of Urology. 2005;173(5):1631-1634.
- Broadbelt NV, Stahl PJ, Chen J, et al. Early upregulation of iNOS mRNA expression and increase in NO metabolites in pressurized renal epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology- Renal Physiology. 2007;293(6):F1877-88.
- Stahl PJ, Vaughan ED, Belt ES, Bloom DA. Edward Loughborough Keyes: an early twentieth century leader in urology. Journal of Urology. 2006;176(5):1946-1951.
- Stahl PJ, Masson P, Mielnik A, Marean MB, Schlegel PN, Paduch DA. A decade of experience emphasizes that testing for Y microdeletions is essential in American men with azoospermia and severe oligozoospermia. Fertility & Sterility. 2010;94(5):1753-1756.
- Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Hsiao W, Schlegel PN. Indications and strategies for fertility preservation in men. Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2010;53(4):815-827.
- Stahl PJ, Mielnik A, Margreiter M, Marean MB, Schlegel PN, Paduch DA. Diagnosis of the gr/gr Y chromosome microdeletion does not help in the treatment of infertile American men. Journal of Urology. 2011;185(1):233-237.
- Hsiao W, Stahl PJ*, Osterberg EC, et al. Successful Treatment of Postchemotherapy Azoospermia With Microsurgical Testicular Sperm Extraction: The Weill Cornell Experience. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2011; 29(12):1607-1611 *co-first authorship
- Stahl PJ, Mielnik A, Schlegel PN, Paduch DA. Heat Shock Factor Y Chromosome (HSFY) mRNA level predicts the presence of retrievable testicular sperm in men with nonobstructive azoospermia. Fertility & Sterility. 2011; 96(2):303- 308.
- Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Schlegel PN. Interpretation of the semen analysis and initial male factor management. Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011; 54(4): 656-665.
- Stahl PJ, Schlegel PN. Standardization and Documentation of Varicocele Evaluation. Current Opinion in Urology. 2011; 21(6):500-505.
- Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Mulhall JP. Options for fertility preservation in men and boys with cancer. Advances In Experimental Medicine And Biology. 2012; 732:29-39.
- Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Goldstein M. Contemporary Management of Male Infertility. Annual Review in Medicine. Annual Reviews in Medicine. 2012; 63:18.1- 18.16 [epub ahead of print]
- Ramasamy R, Stahl PJ, Schlegel PN. Medical Therapy for Spermatogenic Failure. Asian Journal of Andrology. 2012; 14(1):57-60.
- Stahl PJ, Stember DS. Fertility Preservation in Men with Cancer. AUA Update Series. [in press]
- Barazani Y, Stahl PJ, Nagler HM, Stember DS. Diagnosis and management of ejaculatory disorders in infertile men. Asian Journal of Andrology. [in press]
- Stahl PJ and Goldstein M. Varicocele. In Mulhall J.P. (ed.), Fertility Preservation in Men with Cancer, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. [in press]
- Stahl PJ, Schlegel PN, Goldstein M. Sperm Retrieval & Quality Evaluation. In Rosenwaks Z.R. and Wasserman P.R. (eds.), Human Fertility, Human Press Inc., New York, NY [in press]
- Stahl PJ, Chen J, Poppas DP, Felsen D. Pressure Induces Renal Epithelial Nitric Oxide. AUA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, May 2004. [podium presentation]
- Stahl PJ, Mielnik A, Marean MB, Schlegel PN, Paduch DA. The Gr/Gr Polymorphism is Clinically Irrelevant. AUA Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2008.
- Stahl PJ, Mielnik A, Marean MB, Schlegel PN, Paduch DA. Identification of Candidate Genes for Individual Steps in Spermatogenesis. AUA Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2008. [podium presentation]
- Stahl PJ, Mielnik A, Schlegel AM, Paduch DA. A decade of experience emphasizes that testing for Y chromosome microdeletions is essential in men with azoospermia and severe oligozoospermia. ASRM Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, October 2008.
- Stahl PJ, Nejat EJ, Osterberg EC, Palermo GD, Veeck LL, Rosenwaks Z, Schlegel PN. Microdissection testicular sperm extraction and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection in the Treatment of Persistent Postchemotherapy Azoospermia: Lessons Learned Over 12 Years. ASRM Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, October 2008.
- Stahl PJ, Mielnik A, Barbieri CE, Schlegel PN, Paduch DA. Expression Analysis of candidate genes for spermiogenesis in men with idiopathic nonobstructive azoospermia. AUA 2010 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2010. [podium presentation]
- Stahl PJ, Mielnik A, Barbieri CE, Schlegel PN, Paduch DA. Testicular expression analysis of the AZF genes in azoospermic men suggests essentiality and specific function for DDX3Y, RPS4Y2, CDY2, and HSFY. ASRM Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, October 2010.
- Stahl PJ, Schlegel PN, Mielnik A, Paduch DA. HSFY mRNA level predicts success of sperm retrieval in men with nonobstructive azoospermia. AUA Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2011. [podium presentation]
- Stahl PJ, Schlegel PN, Mielnik A, Paduch DA. Fluorescent microscopic detection of ejaculated sperm in adolescents with Klinefelter syndrome. AUA Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2011. [podium presentation]
- Stahl PJ, Reifsnyder J, Hsiao W, Schlegel PN. Clinical characteristics of men with idiopathic nonobstructive azoospermia. AUA Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2011. [podium presentation]