Christopher B. Anderson, MD
- Assistant Professor of Urology at CUMC
This provider accepts new patients
Appointment Phone Number: (212) 305-0114
Christopher B. Anderson, MD, Assistant Professor of Urology at CUMC, joined the Department of Urology in September 2015. He specializes in cancers of the bladder, prostate, kidney, testis and penis and performs both open and robotic surgeries. Dr. Anderson completed his medical degree at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, followed by an internship in general surgery and residency in urology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Following his residency, Dr. Anderson completed a urologic oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and obtained a Master of Public Health degree from Harvard University.
Dr. Anderson's research interests include factors that influence the quality of surgery, access to care for patients with bladder cancer, outcomes after robotic prostatectomy, and active surveillance strategies for men with prostate cancer. Dr. Anderson has published several peer-reviewed articles and was recognized as "Best Reviewer" in 2014 by The Journal of Urology and in 2016 by Cancer.
Dr. Anderson has clinical expertise in robotic prostatectomy for the treatment of prostate cancer, radical cystectomy with orthotopic neobladder for patients with bladder cancer, and partial nephrectomy for the treatment of kidney tumors. He also specializes in the multidisciplinary management of men with testicular cancer, including the use of primary and post-chemotherapy retroperitoneal lymph node dissection.
Areas of Expertise
- Urologic Oncology
- Testicular Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney & Adrenal Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Robotic Partial Nephrectomy
- Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Dissection
- Robotic Surgery
- Kidney Cancer
- Robotic Prostatectomy
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy
- Partial Nephrectomy
Education & Training
- MD, Northwestern University - Feinberg School of Medicine
- Residency: Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Fellowship: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Herbert Irving Pavilion161 Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10032
- For new and current patient appointments, call:
- (212) 305-0114
- (212) 305-0129
Peer reviewed articles:
- Onyeji IC, Sui W, Pagano MJ, Weinberg AC, James MB, THeofanides MC, Stember DS, Anderson CB, Stahl PJ. Impact of surgeon case volume on reoperation rates after inflatable penile prosthesis surgery. J Urol, 2017; 197(1): 223-229.
- Sui W, RoyChoudry A, Wenske S, Decastro GJ, McKiernan JM, Anderson CB. Outcomes and prognostic factors of primary urethral cancer. Urology, 2016. Accepted for publication
- Lipitz-Snyderman A, Sima CS, Atoria CL, Elkin EB, Anderson CB, Blinder V, Tsai CJ, Panageas KS, Bach PB. Physician-driven variation in nonrecommended services among older adults diagnosed with cancer. JAMA Intern Med, 2016.
- Anderson CB, Weber R, Patel D, Lowrance W, Mellis A, Cookson M, Lang M, Barocas D, Chang S, Newberger E, Montgomery JS, Weizer AZ, Lee CT, Kava BR, Jackson M, Meraney A, Sjoberg D, Bochner B, Dalbagni G, Donat M, Herr H. A 10-item checklist improves reporting of critical procedural elements during transurethral resection of bladder tumor. J Urol, 2016; 196(4): 1014-20
- Anderson CB, Atoria CL, Touijer K, Ehdaie B, Elkin EB. Surgeon adoption of minimally invasive radical prostatectomy. Urol Pract 2016; 3(6): 505-510
- Anderson CB, Rapkin B, Reaves BC, Sun AJ, Morganstern B, Donat M, Herr HW, Laudone VP, Bochner BB. Idiographic quality of life assessment before radical cystectomy. Psycho-Oncology, 2015. Nov 30.
- Lipitz-Snyderman A, Weingart SN, Anderson C, Epstein A, Killen A, Classen D, Sima CS, Fortier E, Atoria CL, Pfister D. Detecting potentially avoidable harm in oncology using patient medical records. J Oncol Pract 2016; 12 (2): 178-179.
- Anderson CB, Sternberg IA, Karen-Paz G, Kim PH, Sjoberg D, Vargas HA, Touijer K, Eastham JA, Ehdaie B. Age is associated with upgrading at confirmatory biopsy among men with prostate cancer treated with active surveillance. J Urol 2015; 194 (6): 1607-11.
- Anderson CB, Tin AL, Sjoberg DD, Mulhall JP, Sandhu J, Touijer K, Laudone VP, Eastham JA, Scardino PT, Ehdaie B. Association between number of prostate biopsies and patient-reported functional outcomes after radical prostatectomy: implications for active surveillance protocols. BJU Int 2016; 117(6B): E46-51.
- Anderson CB, Elkin EB, Atoria CL, Eastham JA, Scardino PT, Touijer T. The diffusion of minimally invasive radical prostatectomy in the United States: a case study of the introduction of new surgical devices. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Diseases 2015; 18(1): 75-80.
- Ritch CR, Cookson MS, Chang SS, Clark PE, Resnick MJ, Penson DF, Smith JA Jr., May AT, Anderson CB, You C, Lee H, Barocas DA. Impact of complications and hospital-free days following radical cystectomy on health-related quality of life at one year. J Urol. 2014; 192(5): 1360-4.
- Anderson CB, Alvarez J, Koyama T, Penson DF, Barocas DA. The impact of gender on utilization of pelvic lymphadenectomy at the time of radical cystectomy. Urology Practice 2014; 1(3): 146-150.
- Barocas DA, Alvarez J, Koyama T, Anderson CB, Gray DT, Fowke JH, You C, Chang SS, Cookson MS, Smith JA Jr., Penson DF. Racial variation in the quality of surgical care for bladder cancer. Cancer 2014; 120(7): 1018-25.
- Sawyer MD, Anderson CB, Viprakasit DP, Dietrich MS, Herrell SD, Miller NL. An individualized weight-based goal urine volume model significantly improves expected calcium concentrations relative to a 2-L goal urine volume. Urolithiasis 2013; 41(5): 403-9.
- Anderson CB, Ni S, Makarov DV, Penson DF, Barocas DA. Centralization of Radical Prostatectomy in the United States. J Urol 2013; 189(2): 500-506.
- Anderson CB, Kappa S, Moore D, Barocas DA, Morgan TM, Smith JS, Cookson MS, Chang SS. Predictors of Ureteroenteric Anastamotic Strictures after Radical Cystectomy: Does Approach Matter? J Urol 2013; 189(2): 541-547.
- Anderson CB, Kafuman MR, Dietrich MS, Barocas DA, Chang SS, Cookson MS, Smith JA, Clark PE, Herrell SD. Recovery of urinary function following radical prostatectomy: identification of trajectory cluster groups. J Urol. 2012; 187(4): 1346-1351.
- Anderson CB, Cookson MS, Chang SS, Clark PE, Smith JA, Kaufman MR. Voiding function in women with orthotopic neobladder urinary diversion. J Urol. 2012; 188(1): 200-204.
- Anderson CB, Feurer ID, Large MC, Steinberg GD, Barocas DA, Cookson MC, Penson DF. Psychometric characteristics of a condition-specific health-related quality of life survey: the FACT-Vanderbilt cystectomy index. Urology 2012; 80(1): 77-83.
- Anderson CB, Pyle AL, Woodworth A, Cookson MS, Smith JA, Barocas DA. Spurious elevations in prostate-specific antigen after curative treatment for prostate cancer: clinical consequences and the role of heterophilic antibodies. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2011; 15(2): 182-188.
- Anderson CB, Tanaka ST, Pope JC IV, Adams MC, Brock JW III, Thomas JC. Acute pain crisis as a presenting symptom of primary megaureter in children. J Pediatric Urol, 2011; 8(3): 254-257.
- Anderson CB, Clark PE, Morgan TM, Stratton KL, Herrell SD, Davis R, Cookson ME, Smith JA Jr., Chang SS. Urinary collecting system invasion is a predictor for overall and disease-specific survival in locally invasive renal cell carcinoma. Urology. 2011; 78(1): 99-104.
- Morgan TM, Tang D, Stratton KL, Barocas DA, Anderson CB, Gregg JR, Chang SS, Cookson MS, Herrell SD, Smith JA Jr., Clark PE. Preoperative Nutritional Status is an Important Predictor of Survival in Patients Undergoing Surgery for Renal Cell Carcinoma. Eur Urol 2011; 59: 923-928.
- Anderson CB, Helfand BT, McVary KT. Holmium laser prostate resection for patients presenting with acute urinary retention. BJU Int. 2008. Dec; 102(11): 1623-8.
- Helfand BT, Anderson CB, Fought A, Kim DY, Vyas A, McVary KT. Postoperative PSA and PSA velocity identify presence of prostate cancer following various surgical interventions for benign prostatic hyperplasia. J Urol. 2009. 74: 177-184.
- Caprini JA, Glase CJ, Anderson CB, Hathaway K. Laboratory markers in the diagnosis of venous thromboembolism. Circulation. 2004 Mar 30;109(12 Suppl 1):I4-8. Review
Book chapters and review articles:
Anderson CB, McKiernan JM. Complications of radical cystectomy. In Taneja SS, Shah O (Eds.), Complications of Urologic Surgery. 2016
Anderson CB. Voiding function in women with orthotopic neobladders. Current bladder dysfunction reports. 2015; 10: 411-418.
Anderson CB, Musser J, Sfakianos J, Herr HW. Bladder tumors: Association with Upper Tract Neoplasms. In Grasso M, Bagley D (Eds.), Textbook of upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma. Springer, Switzerland 2015.
Anderson CB, Penson DF, Barocas DA. (2014). Quality of life measures. In Konety BD and Chang SS (Eds.), Management of Bladder Cancer. Springer, New York 2014.
Anderson CB, Cookson MS, Chang SS. (2014). Principles of bladder cancer surgery. In Castle EP and Pruthi R (Eds.) Robotic Surgery of the Bladder. Springer Science + Business Media, New York 2014.
Anderson CB, Helfand BT, McVary KT: Clinical markers of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) progression. Weill Medical College of Cornell University Reports on Men’s Urologic Health. 2007; 2 (2).